Beautiful Opportunities

October 4, 2016

IMGS7232 IMGS7221 IMGS7234
Since I started this semester of college, I've been working on a few things. I'm not sure I would call them personal goals, because I feel like they are more in the realm of personal growth. Last year I did a lot of letting go and learning how to live in the moment. I had spent a good few years prior thinking that you had to clutch tightly to every moment and soak in each day for all it was worth. Which was true to an extent. But that mindset began to become more of a poison than an antidote. It caused me to overthink everything, and in a way special moments became filled with anxiety and sadness over the realization that they would soon end. Last year I started loosening my unhealthy mental grip on moments, and really, truly lived. I didn't think about how soon those good times would end, how soon Summer would send me away from my close friends. I didn't feel the need to photograph and video every. single. little. thing. Instead I chose to just be. And I had never felt so free.

With this semester have come some new personal challenges. I've come to a realization. It's easy to take joy and live in the moment when things are going your way. It's simple, but profound. So what about when life happens, and you find a few mountains to climb in the middle of your path? Hmm - living in the moment suddenly gets a little more tricky, didn't it? Ouch. Slowly but surely, I've been learning to enjoy all of the moments - the days when I have free time to spend with my honey, the days when I have hours of math to pull through, the small hour break I get on Mondays to grab a latte, the 30 minutes I get to spend with Jesus each night before I go to bed.  Everyday is a gift. Even through the stressful and overwhelming times, there are still beautiful, treasurable things to hold onto. I can look at a boatload of homework and see it as a hindrance to my joy, or as an opportunity to stretch and exercise my mind. I can look at difficult social situations and take them as learning experiences. There is something good to find in every situation.
IMGS7253 IMGS7070 IMGS7145 IMGS7111
Dress & kimono: c/o Romwe
Necklace: Forever 21
Shoes: Payless
Photo Credit: Elizabeth Lauren Photography
Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

That is good that you don't feel a need to post every single thing or photograph every little thing. Sometimes a little mysteriousness is good or at least not having an overload. You are gorgeous as always. May you continue to have God's joy!
+Victoria+

Anonymous said...

As always, it is amazing to watch you grow and find yourself, being confident in knowing who you are in Christ, being comfortable just how you are, how he created you, as a daughter of the King! There is such freedom in abiding in Christ, walking by faith and in obedience to His Word! I am so grateful that you are enjoying your life in college as I watch you continue to grow into this most amazing godly young woman! I am grateful that you are enjoying every moment that God has given you! These pictures are glorious and captures the beauty of you, the one that I adore! Miss you sweet girl and can't wait to see you soon and give you BIG hug! Love, Mom
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:38-30

Skyeler said...

I understand and feel this myself. There have been times when I've dreaded the end of something before it even began. I can struggle with the right balance between living in the moment, planning for the future, and simply existing; breathing; being.

Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.