Roses are Red

April 2, 2014

IMG_5510 IMG_5507

Lately I've been really inspired to make some changes around here- one being some design improvements. I've been warring with myself between a complete re-design or just some element changes. Sometimes I think, if it isn't broke, don't fix it- but other days it seems clear that there's always room for improvement.

This brushed cotton 1950s dress is from Polly & the Bandit- aka, the vintage dress dream shop! It's overwhelming how many adorable vintage dresses are stocked in Pauline's shop- I'm finding new favorites all of the time! I think this dress would be so cute to wear to a little summer soiree. I probably need to take it in just a teensie bit, but for now a belt does the job ( I'm a belt fiend anyway ;). I think it would look pretty cute with a light crinoline underneath as well- now on my to-try list!

IMG_5573 IMG_5565 IMG_5567b

I've been doing lots of mulling over about makeup tutorials- I know some of you had requested the classic 1950s look on Facebook- I promise it's on my to-do list! I will say, I've been really interested in the makeup styles of different eras lately. It's super fun to play around with so many looks- and for some reason I have a ridiculous overload of eye-shadows that I've procured over the last couple of years, so I need to start using them up- haha!

IMG_5552 IMG_5639 IMG_5529 IMG_5621

Are you girls looking forward to Summer? It's funny- I feel like I was just preparing Summer posts last year, and here I am planning again! Eesh- I can't keep up. I think being in blogging, time probably seems to scoot along even quicker because you are always three months ahead.

IMG_5653 IMG_5762

Vintage car sighting!

IMG_5717 IMG_5709 IMG_5752 IMG_5760
Dress: c/o Polly & the Bandit
Hat: grandma's
Gloves: vintage
Shoes: ebay
Rebecca Tan said...

oh my word....just when i think your blog couldn't get any better or any more incredible you up the stakes with these amazing post!

Your grandma's hat is perfect with the dress and the outfit suits you to a t!

seriously loved reading this post xxxx

Lorna Sharp said...

Wow i love this dress ! It looks beautiful on you !!
And this hat is reall Fab :)

I m looking forward to see this make up tutorial ;)
I promise i havent asked Before ! Haha

Xxx
Lorna
Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

Charlotte MacDonald-Gaunt said...

Beautiful photos as usual - gorgeous dress! :o) Xx

Makeup by Candlelight

Shermy said...

Your outfit is amazing!! The colours in the photos is amazing! And those flowers!!!!!!!!

Frances said...

That dress is GORGEOUS. You look so lovely and classic, and you match so well with the red flowers! I've been wanting a vintage dress with a large floral print akin to this one for a while, and this might be the year for me to finally get one.

diane said...

That print is so beautiful. It inspires me to be on the lookout for fabrics with BIG flowers and as always, every detail in your location is perfect!

Melissa said...

Oh Alex... It's always everythhing. The flowers, the colors, the dresses. Just love your blog, girl! Inspirational for sure. ;)

Melissa
thebeesknees-mel.com

Kristian said...

That dress is stunning on you! What wonderful photos.

Bethany Carson said...

Lovely outfit! The art gallery background is just perfect! Also love the black and white shot at the vineyard!

Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} said...

This dress is stunning!! Now that it's spring I want to wear florals all the time now!
~Sara

Savvy Spinster Vintage said...

What a gorgeous dress and all the accessories you chose compliment it perfectly! The black and white pictures are lovely as well- they look like they could have come straight out of a vintage issue of Vogue! :-)
-Melissa

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Ah, such a lovely dress! You look beautiful, as always! And great photography...the photos really make the dress come alive. I just sewed a rather similar looking dress for a Mad Men Sewing Challenge.

Nic Ridley said...

This post is so dreamy - I can't wait till it gets warmer here so I can pull out my dresses!

Linda B said...

Goodness, everytime I see your posts I can't help but admire your beauty and your gorgeous vintage style! This dress is perfection :)

The Dragonfruit Diaries

Ivy Lee said...

Where is this?

Laura Whitman said...

That dress is just so perfect - you wear vintage like no other! I can't wait for summer to get here either!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Tina said...

Ah, that dress is gorgeous...but I've been obsessing over your oxfords lately....any other info you could share about them (brand? anything?)? They're perfect.

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous dress!

Becca said...

I clearly need to move to wherever you are living because you always find the most gorgeous settings for your photos! Also, that dress is pretty much my dream dress. I simply adore it.

XOXO
Becca | Ladyface Blog

Alexandra Marie said...

At a local vineyard :)

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you, Tina! Honestly, they don't have any brand or anything that I've found- I had to search high and low for them because of my shoe size. But, Payless has some ADORABLE oxfords right now that are super similar, if not even prettier- and they are about $25!

Samantha said...

I really LOVE the dress!! And those flowers are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Jenna Condon said...

Awh gorgeous. Makes me want to do a shoot here with you! :)


http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

Jenny Rainey said...

You look just lovely!! The colors on that dress are so beautiful, and I love your hat.

Also, good luck with your blog design no matter what you decide to do! :)

Cheers,
Jenny

Sara, Swing The Day Away said...

Perfection! Now THIS is how I imagine a vineyard. I know a lot of wine comes from California, so I'm not surprised at how gorgeous their vineyards are! I love that dress, and the hat is the perfect accessory for this whole look and scenery. :) Ugh...I can't wait for it to be warm enough for bare legs and no coats! It's finally starting to get there a little.

Bonita Vear said...

That hat is utterly fabulicious! I'm a sucker for straw hats and it's the perfect shape, size and style. Lovely... And of course, the rest of the outfit is as divine, you look stunning as always. ❤

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

Hannah Barta said...

Lovely!

Intan Aprillia said...

pretty! beautiful dress!

prillamie

Harlow Darling said...

You are just SO beautiful! These photos definitely make me think of vintage Vogue editorials :)

Ali Hval said...

Your photos are always just astounding. I can tell that you really pour your heart and soul into styling outfits and meticulously snapping pictures. The red is so beautiful on you!

lisa said...

Your photos are so perfect! You are lovely and this look is vintage perfection! I just found your blog via the Modcloth Style Gallery :)

countrygirlcityfashion said...

Your photos never fail to amaze me. They always have such a distinct atmosphere to them, and they make your outfits shine. This is a lovely look, I'm in love with your shoes!

The Pale Female said...

Incredible location and your photos are beautiful as always. Your blog is so lovely, like clicking onto a vintage dreamland. Just perfect xx

Rebekah Bradford said...

Your makeup looks so good in these photos! And I love your shoes :) I wore similar ones in cognac today--they're very comfortable

Diana F said...

Alexandra….you do so inspire me…..

Yesterday, your photographs & essay transported Lola and me smack dab into the Land of Milk and Honey. Sitting in the Sun, your Gift was recognized and much appreciated!

"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Alexandra Rules, and I STILL can't Imagine why you are not Famous-World-Wide, no, this JUST WILL NOT DO"!

As you know, I am a fevered admirer, and vow to one day see you featured in Time Magazine! You’ll grace the Cover, chosen as the Planet’s most Influential, Faithful, Passionate, Sweet-Spirited and Gorgeous Vintage Queen ever! ♥


(wearing one of my Dresses no doubt lol!)

Diana xoxo

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Moxie2RunwayVintage

Kati said...

Thanks so much for your sweet words, they made my day!
What an adorable outfit, I love the dress on you and the hat is also very pretty!

Have a great week,
-Kati

Sam M said...

New follower here! I just wanted to say that I really love your blog - and that dress! I think my favorite thing about the warmer weather is the fact that I get to haul my springtime dresses out of storage. So many flowers!

Sam | as close to the edge

Sam M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

You are seriously amazing at putting outfits together! The tiny gloves are adorable <3 and such a beautiful location too. If you can't tell, I am absolutely obsessing over your blog - it is stunning!

xo
Lost in the Haze

AmyNicole said...

You are gorgeous and these photos are absolutely stunning!

xo
Amy
http://artoftheheartblog.blogspot.com

The Vintage Romance said...

Wow, so very happy that we just found your beautiful blog! Stunning photos, lovely design, beautiful lady!!
You've got a new follower :)

<3
Love,
Elaine Valerie & Isabelle Gloria

Polly Bland said...

that dress is just faaaaaabulous and you need a modeling contract!!!!!

love, polly
pollybland.com

Kristina @ Eccentric Owl said...

Beautiful! That dress is amazing on you, and what a gorgeous location! Your blog is just like flipping through a magazine; I'm catching up (if you couldn't tell) because I haven't had time to blog read lately, and I've MISSED reading! So, so pretty.
xo
Kristina
www.eccentricowl.com

Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.