The Best Thing a Girl Can Be

March 26, 2014

IMG_4791

IMG_4827

I've been obsessed over all things 1920s lately- primarily because of the clothes (surprise, surprise ;). I love the glamour and attention to detail- and it may come as little shock to hear that I love The Great Gatsby 
(haven't seen the new movie or read the book) with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. I always get a kick out of it when Daisy says, "That's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

In the roaring 20's spirit, I decided to slip on this lovely flapper reproduction dress from House of Recollections. I've been in search of a pretty replica dress for a while- House of Recollection's pieces can't be beat. For one thing, they are gorgeous- truly some of the loveliest reproduction 20s dresses I've found. For another, this dress is super lightweight and comfortable- perfect for Spring and Summer. 
IMG_4918

IMG_4927

IMG_4898

IMG_4900

Wasn't this a lucky find!? We were just driving along when we stumbled across this gorgeous little meadow of daffodils- talk about Spring! It was the prettiest when the light would hit them because they literally glow.

IMG_4994

IMG_4920

If you want to find your own vintage treasure, Cherry Crush Retro is offering Into the Woods readers 15% off for the month of April! Use code CHERRYCRUSH15

IMG_4967

IMG_4954

IMG_5001

IMG_5071
Gloves: vintage
Shoes: ebay
Pearls: gift
Flower clip: c/o White Bridal Boutique
Rebecca Tan said...

OH gosh I just fall in love with a bit more every time I read your posts! this outfit is just divine and these shots are just a dream! you rocked this 1920's look so so well! simply stunning my dear xxxx

Demi said...

Oh Alex these photos are so beautiful! I am really jealous that you have places over there that contain daffodils because we don't have them here at all--I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh! Such a perfect outfit for Spring too, I simply adore those brogued booties (this is coming from someone who has quite a few of those shoes in her collection, haha!).

Demi
http://carbonchic.com.au

London Mum said...

I adore the 1920's and the outfit is just stunning!

Claire Petersen said...

The meadow of daffodils was an amazing find! Makes for great photos with that pretty yellow dress! :)

Technicolour Dream

Hannah said...

I love the 1920s! And The Great Gatsby is the bom dot com, seriously, you should read the book, it's incredible!

Tiny Grey Cat said...

Oh wow, what a beautiful outfit! I love the 1920s style too, but unfortunately am the wrong shape to pull off the flapper look. You look simply stunning!
I seem to be the only person who doesn't like the book - I found it so boring. I'd stick to the version you love! xo
tinygreycat.blogspot.com

Tiny Grey Cat said...

P.S. I'm a new follower - I found you through the Modcloth style gallery and am now following your blog :)

Kristian said...

So lovely. It is fun to see you play with a 1920's look.

Nic Ridley said...

So stunning! Makes me want a girly hat like that!

Catarina Paiva said...

Amazing!!

Sammi said...

Super beautiful! I love that you found daffodils! Nothing is blooming here yet!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} said...

You look absolutely darling!! This light yellow is so beautiful on you! These pictures also desperately want spring!
~Sara
Sincerely, Sara

Rachel said...

That dress is amazingly lovely on you! You pull off the color very well, too!

Jordyn said...

This is gorgeous! I can't believe you just stumbled upon that area. I want to go there!
Jordyn
Pretty Lovely

Boyer Family Singers said...

Oh so pretty! What a picturesque spot to shoot in! And it's amazing how well your outfit coordinates your surroundings! Ladylike camouflage ;P

Our daffodils are just peeking up... I'm aching for warm weather, let me tell you; so your posts in warm, sunny California are making me want to fly out there until the weather warms up here! (although that probably will not be happening ;)

-Charlotte
boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

Emily Greene said...

Lovely!

Lauren said...

So pretty! 1920s fashions are my favorite. I'm a long time fan of The Great Gatsby, and really enjoy anything to do with the 20s. :)
-Lauren
musingsofaflowerchild.com

Bethany Carson said...

Beautiful outfit, and I love the setting! The daffodils are lovely!

Miss Marie said...

Wonderful springtime shots and a beautiful little dress. But you MUST read Gatsby! It's very short so it's one of these epics you have to dedicate excessive amounts of time to. I read it to my boyfriend out loud, a chapter a night, over the course of little more than a week. It's that short and easy to get through... You won't regret it. (Don't, however, watch the Baz Luhrmann film - you WILL regret it.)

Emerald Dove said...

You have such amazing style - the dress is so pretty! And the photography is gorgeous! :)
theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

Becca said...

So gorgeous! I love 1920s fashion for similar reasons, but oh boy- I don't not pull off the styles well!

XOXO
Becca | Ladyface Blog

Samantha said...

Oh, this dress is spectacular! You look so pretty in yellow as well.

countrygirlcityfashion said...

I can't believe you just happened to stumble across this location - it looks like a dream! Absolutely breathtaking, and it fits your look so perfectly. Those shoes are so darling.

Hannah Barta said...

The way the daffodil meadow complements your dress is simply stunning!

Elizabeth Anne said...

Very, very pretty especially in that dreamy daffodil field! Soon as I saw the first photo of this outfit I thought you looked very Downton-Abbey-ish. ;))

Elana said...

The dropwaist looks SO cute on you, and I'm in love with the color of this dress!

www.room-334.blogspot.com

Sara, Swing The Day Away said...

I love daffodils! I can never find anything like this anywhere near me. I have been longing for a tulip field for years, but there's nothing around here. :( I love spring flowers! I also love this outfit. I just recently watched the new Great Gatsby movie. It was kinda odd, but ok. I thought the music was so random with the way it was more modernized. That Daisy quote always confused me. I never understood exactly why she says that. Is it because she is just a naive fool herself and says things to say things, or does she really believe it to be true on some deeper meaning sort of level? The English/writing major in me is coming out...lol.

Wynne Prasetyo said...

oh my gosh this is too beautiful!

Lorna Sharp said...

Beautiful ! I Am so stunned by all of your outfits that I found so so Pretty.
I'm happy to be one of your new follower, and to see more of your creativity in stylisme !
Cheers from Paris,
Lorna
Xxx
Http://lornasharp.blogspot.com

Lady Éowyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lady Éowyn said...

You look like the drop of golden sun in the song from " The Sound of Music' Song". Truly, the pines the daffodils, the sunshine, your ensemble... everything about this entire post glimmers with a refreshing and lovely air.

Frances said...

I've never been a fan of The Great Gatsby (I blame literary analysis, among other things) or the fashions of the '20s (they look fabulous on people who are not me) but you look lovely as a spring daffodil in your ensemble! I'm deeply jealous of the warm weather and streaming sunshine in your photos.

irene wibowo said...

i love the dress so much! :)
Irene Wibowo

Agent M. said...

I love this look on you! I've been thinking about the 1920's too lately :)

Harlow Darling said...

I love Daisy and these beautiful photos really remind me of the cinematography in the 70s version of the Great Gatsby (my favorite). This patch of daffodils looks like something out of a dream and you look too perfect to be real life!

Anonymous said...

Great Gatsby is a terrible movie. Both of them. And how dumb is Daisy?! Gosh. I don't understand the obsession.

Kim Rogers Clothing said...

I was a little worried about fit , but fit beautifully, I am 5"3 and 125lbs and ordered a size 6 (it is a little snug around the waist, but it's a corset so that is expected).

Evelyn said...

Ah!! I love the heeled Oxfords!! I am completely obsessed with the 50's and oxords. :) You wear them so well!!

Grace said...

Wow! Love your makeup in these pictures. Looks great on you! :)

Kristina @ Eccentric Owl said...

So pretty! The 1920's are such a great era for fashion; ooh, have you seen Gatsby with Toby Stephens? That one is good, too. The newest Gatsby with Leonardo DiCaprio isn't great. I only liked the fashion, but the movie itself was... eh.

Anyway! You look gorgeous as always. I think you were made to wear hats.
xo
Kristina
www.eccentricowl.com

Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.