A Dash of Drama

March 5, 2014

IMG_2814 IMG_2818 IMG_2828

Have any of you ever tried taking outfit pictures in the mud... with heels on? If not, I most definitely do not recommend it- haha! We had our "big" storm of the season this past weekend ( aka, pouring rain on Saturday and Sunday, and that's all). Nonetheless, there are puddles everywhere and as you can see, the sky is overcast. 

The moment I saw this dress, I knew it was love. It's from Vintage Living of California, a darling little vintage Etsy shop nestled right here in, where else, California! This sweet little frock is a brushed cotton, 1950s number. I can't get over how unique it is! The material has such a gorgeous sheen to it, and the wavy pattern on the skirt adds such a fun element of surprise. Plus, even though it's hard to notice from afar, the gingham actually has such blue threads mixed in there.

IMG_2914 Collage

I am insanely stoked right now because at the end of this week I'll be escaping cloudy California, and heading over to Hawaii with my dear friend, Jenna. I can't wait to bring back all sort of lovely pictures for you girls, and you can keep updated on our adventures by following me on Instagram. With that said, I won't be able to respond to comments or emails until I get back on the 13th, so if I don't answer for a bit, you'll know why :)

IMG_2969 IMG_2972

Let's talk hats! August Millinery sent me this darling, handmade 40s/50s inspired silk topper. The details really are what make this lovely shine! The two rosettes on the right side add the perfect touch of femininity, while the gorgeous birdcage veil lends a dash of drama! It makes a statement, while remaining elegant enough to wear out and about. 

IMG_2716 IMG_2714 IMG_2744 IMG_2795 IMG_2900 IMG_3003

Shoes: Walmart
Demi said...

I'm a new follower, I found you from someone who did a list of blog recommendations yesterday and fallen in love with your style! I always wish that the weather was more hospitable in Australia so I can wear those sorts of clothes but alas, it's always hot and muggy here..

That hat is perfection, I can see you incorporating it into a lot of your other outfits too! :)

Demi
http://carbonchic.com.au

Boyer Family Singers said...

What a sweet little dress! And the hat is perfection! Lovely outfit! Have a great trip.

Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer

Lady Éowyn said...

Darling ensemble! I love how the styling of the dress gives the usually, more casual print of gingham a wee bit more of a dressy air.

Dulce said...

that dress simply took my breath away!

Nic Ridley said...

Gorgeous!

Kristian said...

That dress is gorgeous as is the hat. Have fun in Hawaii.

Emily Baker said...

have a great time in hawaii! you look fab!

The Shashaguay Sisters said...

I absolutely love it! The hat is just wonderful! I would for sure wear this entire outfit!

Blessings on your journey!

Cassie

Katie @ Loverly She said...

This dress and these pictures made me just go “ahhhhh”. So, so lovely. x

Katie said...

I'm also a new follower - probably from this same list as above and I absolutely love your style. I keep getting lost in your photos!

Katie <3

Stephanie said...

LOVE!! I think this is one of my favorite dresses you have shared with us - so pretty and feminine :) Have a lovely day - hugs!

Boyer Family Singers said...

Beautiful! That dress is so twirly and pretty :)

How lucky you are, getting to escape to the sunny, tropical haven of Hawaii!! I envy you so! Here in Ohio it's still SO COLD and SNOWY :( Oh, how I long for warm weather, short sleeves, and bright, pretty, summery colors!

Have a wonderful trip!

-Charlotte
boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

Brittney Johnson said...

Sooo beautiful =) Also I have a question...do you get all these clothes for free in exchange for modeling them on your blog? I was just curious to know =)

Boyer Family Singers said...

Quick question: What do you use to edit your blog photos? Lightroom, Photoshop & Photoshop Actions, Camera Raw...?

Thanks dear!

-Charlotte

diane said...

There are no words to express how much I adore this dress and the entire photo shoot! You just keeping "topping" yourself! Unbelievable! Do have a marvelous time in Hawaii you lucky girl! Be safe!

Sammi said...

So pretty. The shape of that dress is gorgeous on you!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Alexandra Marie said...

I use ipiccy.com currently- works like a charm and it's free!

Linda B said...

Soooo gorgeous! I love seeing your vintage inspired posts :)
Very refreshing and glamorous!

The Dragonfruit Diaries

Merry C. said...

Oh.My. Word! I am absolutely breathless! This dress has got to be your prettiest yet! You look so adorable! Merry from eachlittlebird.blogspot.com

Hannah Barta said...

You are so beautiful! As always, the photography is incredible and so is the outfit :)

Thanks for the shoutout about the Etsy shop! Lately I've been increasing my list of websites where I can shop for clothes :) It's always nice to find a new one--particularly one featuring vintage items!

walking in the air.

Kayla GracefullyVintage said...

Beautiful! What a gorgeous dress and such lovely photos! x

Intan Aprillia said...

beautiful dress and you look so pretty!

prillamie

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you Brittney! Some of my clothes I wear in exchange for modeling- those items are marked with a c/o at the bottom of each post :)

Samantha Collard said...

This is so BEAUTIFUL!! I just discovered your blog! Love all your vintage outfits! I love your vintage makeup look in this one. What foundation do you use? Your face is so flawless and your lips are stunning!

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you so much, Samantha! Actually, the real trick to getting flawless skin in my photos is Photoshop, unfortunately haha. I used to really struggle with Acne, so I got in the habit of airbrushing during the photo editing process. These days I use the cheapo, Neutrogena face wash and a generic acne cream- it does wonders! Besides the occasional breakout days, the improvement is insane. For foundation I use a NYC liquid foundation and top it with Mineral Glow powder. All of these products are super affordable and work really well.

dreamingofavonlea said...

I think this is one of the best dresses in the world! As always your photos are beautiful x

Alexandra Marie said...

here is a picture that I took yesterday without editing- you can see what my makeup looks like without the aid of photo shop haha

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/f7/81/ccf7811832cdda8d52eb9642680694a4.jpg

QueenLina said...

gorgeous! I love vintage! :*

http://landing-in-fashion.blogspot.com

Frances said...

That hat is spectacular! And the dress is quite lovely as well. You look so radiant in these photos.

Laura Whitman said...

That dress is so spectacular and looks amazing on you! I hope that you have a great time in Hawaii - so fun!

xoxo,
Laura
That dress is pretty spectacular! And the jacket is so beautiful!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Lucy In The Sky said...

You look simply stunning. That truly is a unique dress and very lovely and classy. Have fun in Hawaii!

his_girl_friday said...

Love that veil!

Miss Marie said...

I've just discovered your blog and have to say, girl, you have impeccable style! Loving seriously ALL your dresses and outfits as I browse through. Definite new follower here and look forward to continuing to see your posts.

Allison Katelyn said...

That dress of GORGEOUS!! I am os jealous of the Hawaii trip - definitely looking forward to seeing some palm tree's in your pics soon! :)

Allison Katelyn @ http://SimpleSilverLinings.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I literally gasped when I saw your orange and yellow rose print dress on Modcloth. My mother made me a dress in that very same fabric when I was a kid. Ah, the memories! Such a beautiful palette on you!!!

Polly Bland said...

so gorgeous and full of happiness!!!

love, polly
pollybland.com :D

Samantha said...

Thanks so much for sharing that! Photoshop is a wonder. I also struggle with acne too. Ugh. But I have been able to control it. That is awesome you got to go to Hawaii! Someday I would like to go there too.

Immortality Passion said...

Wonderful I m speechless! i love your dress and hat, perfect! Photos are so nice.

justicepirate.com said...

What a gorgeous outfit! I have taken photos of myself with heels in mud and it was a pain to clean off and squishy and hard to get out, but it worked out okay!! hehe.
+Victoria+

The Hearabouts said...

We love your blog so much! You are a truly inspiration. The photos are incredible and so are you.

Hugs,
The Hearabouts

Louisa Fiebig said...

I love all your outfits! You´re a beautiful lady, sweet like a candy! And I fall in old ages dreams with you!

www.glossyrosesandvintagedreams.blogspot.com

Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.