When the Clock Strikes Twelve

November 26, 2013

Blueandpolkadots 007

Blueandpolkadots 015

I'm so excited to be sharing this shoot with you today! It's one I've been planning for a couple of months now, and I've had so much fun putting it together! Up until last Saturday, I was still trying to decide on the best place to photograph, when my mom suggested the local train museum. It's one of the oldest buildings in my town. It used to be a real working train station, and today it still remains, serving as an under-visited museum. Which, in some ways is fairly nice, since we didn't have to worry about a bunch of people in the background of the pictures. However... there was one docent, probably in his 80's or so who took a special interest in what we were doing. He watched us the whole time- haha! We figured it was probably the most interesting thing he'd seen all day :-) Worst of all, after the shoot we stopped by the store, and as I was getting into the car a long, gray haired guy shouted, " What are you, Snow White?" 

This dress- gah- this dress, I am in major love with it, no joke. It's a true 1950s treasure. I've been obsessing over "new look" lately, and let me tell you, the fullness of the skirt is incredible- it would be a shame to wear this lovely without a crinoline. The collar is remarkable as well- the dress truly is worthy of a ball ;) I found it at this amazing Etsy shop called, Storied Vintage. This shop is one of a kind. I had the rare and exciting opportunity to talk to shop owner, Lorraine over a phone call. I was left inspired by her vintage story, and I want to share it with you! 

It all started when Lorraine's mother gave she and her sisters her vintage dresses to use as play clothes. The girls would write plays and use the gowns as costumes. Thus a passion was born. From then on, she collected vintage treasures, and from a love for things of the past, came Storied Vintage. It's amazing, when I spoke with her I felt like I was talking to a kindred spirit! Her respect for vintage is incredible, and you know, anything you purchase from the shop has been well cared for and loved.

Blueandpolkadots 017

Blueandpolkadots 083

Blueandpolkadots

Two things to notice here. First off, this elegant little belt is from Netaly Shany. It worked out to be the perfect match with this outfit, I love it! Also, if you pick up anything from Netaly's shop for the Holidays, you'll receive free shipping and a bobby pin gift!

Secondly, these sweet little lace gloves come from Einav Fadida. I've never worn gloves like these before, but I knew they would add the finishing touch. The detail on them is so pretty, and the pearl accents are perfection!

Blueandpolkadots 087

Blueandpolkadots 025

Every Cinderella needs a glass slipper, right? Well, I'm a rebel, I went for lace instead ;) These gorgeous, custom lace wedding shoes were sent to me courtesy of Becca & Louise. There are so many amazing details to mention, so let's get started! This particular pair was inspired by Princess Kate's wedding shoes. They are made with stunningly detailed chantilly lace, and accented by a pearl and crystal studded applique. The heel and toe are in a soft satin, and the shoe can be customized to over 100 different colors. Plus, they come in all sizes from 5-12, including half sizes. With that said, ( do I dare admit this)? For those of us with size 10+
( I'm a 101/2- the lovely gifts that are bestowed to us with height- haha) these are an amazing find! And you know what I'm talking about- even Payless only has a limited two column selection for 10+, and you won't find shoes like these. So, if you are going to tie the knot, or attend a formal event any time soon, definitely check out this site.

Blueandpolkadots 024
Blueandpolkadots 077
Blueandpolkadots 004

Out of all the faux mink capes available online, this one stood out to me as the most well suited for the shoot. What I love about it, is the classic fit- it reminds me so much of a real mink wrap my grandmother had back when (that is, before my aunt's dog got to it- haha). You can wear it plain like I did, or style it with a vintage brooch, as was done in the product listing. It's surprisingly very warm as well, so it's a really cute way to do up a look for a winter event. It has a snap closure at the collar, and one for each arm so that you don't have to worry about holding it down. You can find your own at Tion Design.

Blueandpolkadots 033

This is the most amazing crinoline skirt E.V.E.R. end of story. This beauty from Swank Underpinnings is pure, full, chiffon amazingness. It comes 29 different colors, so it's easy to find the best match for your dress. Each one is made to order for you specific measurements and desired length. The best part is, if you want one less full, there are a ton of different designs to choose from. Be sure and stop by to have a look- I'm not kidding, it's an amazing piece to have, especially for you retro loving gals.

Blueandpolkadots 037

Blueandpolkadots 054

Blueandpolkadots 045

Blueandpolkadots 035

Collagepolkadot
Blueandpolkadots 073

Blueandpolkadots 068

Holy guacamole, that was a lot of outfit details- thank you for bearing with my ramblings! I post too many pictures and I talk to much- I see a reformation in my future ;) Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Blueandpolkadots 064
Dress: c/o Storied Vintage
Stole: c/o Tion Design
Shoes: c/o Becca & Louise
Gloves: Einav Fadida
False Lashes: Luxie Lash
Pearls: gift
Headband: handmade

norafinds said...

Oh gosh this is the sweetest outfit ever! I do think you are more of a Cinderella at the ball rather than Snow White! The accessories you picked are perfect for that dress but that dress really is perfection on its own! :) Such lovely photos as well! Ah-ma-zing!

Delvalina said...

Oh my goodness! I'm dying for your beauty! You are such a darling princess!
I LOVE it!! I love your lace shoes, lashes, red lips, and the dress.
I love you tell us the story about Lorraine :)
I love the picture when you sat and have a big smile.
Really, I do not have any words to describe how beautiful you are and especially the dress.
Why don't you go as vintage fashion designer?
Blessing,
Delvalina

Bethany Carson said...

That is an extremely pretty outfit! This has to be one of your best-ever posts! (and please don't cut down on pictures or words in the future--really enjoyed the story and the explanation of every detail!) God bless!

Kristian said...

Oh, I have no words. You look STUNNING!

OrigamiGirl said...

Wow, a huge amount of effort clearly went into putting that all together. I really love the crinoline actually. Once you draw attention to it I can see how utterly soft it is. I also have to say, I really like your hair. It's very Anne Hathaway, though I'm sure plenty of people have told you that. But it really looks good.

Boyer Family Singers said...

Gorgeous! Your whole outfit is positively lovely! The dress, the petticoat, the faux mink, the gloves... *sigh*. :)

You have a happy thanksgiving too!

Brigid
The Middle Sister and Singer

Stephanie said...

Wow, wow, wow! You look incredible! The dress is a true beauty and those sweet lace gloves are stunning :) Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Becca said...

SO gorgeous! This dress is amazing and you and the photos are so so pretty! Love it!

-Becca
Ladyface Blog

Brittney Johnson said...

Ahhhhhh! CUTEST OUTFIT EVER! That dress is GORGEOUS =O LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! and the shoes!?! BEAUTIFUL!

Victoria Horea said...

LOVE THIS

Christy said...

Way to cute Alex!!! One of my favs!!;)

claire said...

You do not talk too much or post too many pictures! That dress is amazing, and every detail of this outfit deserves to be talked about! :) My favorite part: "Who are you, Snow White?"
Snow White, you are darling and keep on rocking that style. :)

Natasha Marie said...

Oh my word. Stunningly beautiful!! I really have no other words...everything about this is perfect. That dress...and that crinoline!! And everything!! LOVE!

Beverly Houpt said...

drop dead gorgeous!
Love these photos and this outfit. What are ya? Some kinda Snow White?? haha

Katherine said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this outfit and you are so gorgous in it! Thanks for sharing :D

Samantha said...

Wow, these photos and you are stunning! That dress looks amazing on you - the blue is just a lovely colour on you. It definitely reminds me of Cinderella, very magical :)

Sammi said...

Omgosh. Alex. I saw one of these photos in the Style Gallery and got SO excited to see the rest of them. This dress is absolutely incredible, and I loved finding out more about the shop owner's story! This whole ensemble is so stunning, and you look like a perfect princess. Love the location, too!

xox Sammi
www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Anne said...

Oh my word I love this whole outfit!!! So adorable! I don't think I can pick favorite pieces, but I loved the gloves... exquisite. You look so cute in every single photo!

diane said...

I'm just going to say, "Amen" to every comment above and add that I also love the headband! It was made for that dress! Hey pretty girl, would you please consider doing a tutorial for us sometime? Also, your mom must have been inspired by the aqua trim at the museum. It went perfectly with the dress. Great eye! Love the entire outfit.

Diane

diane said...

I'm just going to say, "Amen" to every comment above and add that I also love the headband! It was made for that dress! Hey pretty girl, would you please consider doing a tutorial for us sometime? Also, your mom must have been inspired by the aqua trim at the museum. It went perfectly with the dress. Great eye! Love the entire outfit.

Diane

Sara, Swing The Day Away said...

I LOVE this shoot, and these photos. It's so pretty and the colors and location and everything is just perfect. I love that fur stole and now I really want one. I already checked out the shop you got it from. I actually had a question for you! I used to scour eBay for vintage dresses and find some nice ones, but you seem to find amazing ones on Etsy. I haven't really looked as much now because it's a little overwhelming to me. Do you have any tips/methods you use to find such amazing pieces?

Lorraine Schuchart said...

I am honored and thrilled beyond belief to have my shop featured in your blog, Alex! You have made our collaboration a WONDERFUL experience and I look forward to working with you again. You are a rare talent!

Jenny Lee, The Dictioncanary said...

Wow, such a lovely shoot! I love the location you chose. It's perfect! Your attention to detail truly makes this an absolute dream.

Jenny Lee
http://thedictioncanary.blogspot.com

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you so much Sara! It can be a little overwhelming, but fun at the same time. I usually do a search on Etsy that has the era I want and the color/material I want, for example "blue 50s dress" or "black 40s wiggle dress." and I switch the option at the top to recently added. Another thing that helps is putting a budget- as you've probably seen they have an option for that in the left sidebar. If I get to a point where I'm through 50 pages, and I'm done, I'll just save the link and pick up my search the next day. I hope that helps!

Alexandra Marie said...

Another thing that helps is checking out pinterest pictures to get inspiration for keywords :)

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you so much, Lorraine! It has been amazing to work with you as well!!

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you, Diane! It's funny, someone else mentioned that to me as well- i think I might, because it was SO easy and such a last minute thing! I knew I needed something for my hair and I literally threw it together the night before- haha

Alexandra Marie said...

You are SO sweet! Thank you, thank you <3 Maybe one of these days I will start doing vintage fashion designs- I think it would be so much fun! At the very least I want to sell vintage someday- it's such a passion of mine, and I'm so glad it's a style that is coming back in <3

Eccentric Owl said...

I cannot get over how incredibly stunning you are! I went to pin a picture to my style inspiration board, and I just wanted to pin them all they're so beautiful! This whole photoshoot and outfit is just perfect. That dress is AMAZING, and I love the story behind it! How awesome that you got to talk to Lorraine in person and hear her story.
Also, you should wear red lipstick all the time. It's beautiful on you!
But seriously, this outfit and photoshoot and how gorgeous you are... it's unreal!
xo
Kristina
www.ecccentricowl.com

Sara, Swing The Day Away said...

Thank you! That helps a little just to know what to search for. There are just so many results when you type in "vintage dress" or "50s dress"!

Linda B said...

Oh my goodness, you look like you stepped right off the TV screen! Like Once Upon A Time ;)
I adore the vintage dress and your GORGEOUS makeup! You rock the red lipstick like a pro. Haha, you really do resemble Snow White

The Dragonfruit Diaries

Lily Fang said...

Eeee! I was so excited to stumble upon your blog. I've always been intrigued by pixie cuts and am considering chopping my hair off too--I used to have short hair but grew it out last year. And of course your stunning photos, pretty blog design, and lovely outfits enamored me from the start. What a gorgeous, fairy-tale-esque dress! And hey, nothing wrong with talking too much or taking too many photos--I'm guilty as well. Guess who has a new follower (:

diane said...

Happy Thanksgiving Alex! I had to show my granddaughter your latest post cause I knew she would love it. I was right! She said, " She looks just like my favorite character on Once upon a Time, Jennifer Goodwin! Evidently she plays Snow White. Well, Jennifer must be a pretty girl

Alexandra Marie said...

Aww, thank you! It's funny, I LOVE that show! In fact, Ginnifer was my inspiration to cut my hair initially!

Alexandra Marie said...

Thank you so much Lily! It is a blast having short hair, I say go for it! Though, in all honesty I am working to grow mine out right now- I may go back to it eventually, but I feel like I need a change. Headed to check out your blog!

Nikki said...

These photos are absolutely amazing Alexandra! You look so incredibly beautiful in this retro dress :) and how beautiful is your make-up!?

A belated happy Thanksgiving to you! xo

Hannah Gottlieb-Graham said...

Oh my goodness, my jaw dropped when I saw these photos! You look incredibly ladylike and stunning, this dress is such a dream on you. And the red lipstick is the perfect touch!

Xo, Hannah

sweetsweetnoir.net

justicepirate.com said...

Lorraine's story sounds so wonderful! What a classy and beautiful dress. It makes you look a lot like Audrey Hepburn, but I am sure you have heard this before, no?
+Victoria+

Blytheponytailparades said...

Completely perfect! I can't get over how much I love this!

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous, gorgeous princess outfit!! I'd love to go out for a stroll in that dress!

Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.