Mocha Espresso French Macarons

October 5, 2013

macarons 005

macarons 009


macarons 006
macarons 008

macarons 010
macarons 012
 So after my sad Macaron report from last week, I decided I would try to brave the Mac world again. They came out decent enough that I thought I could share some pictures. As you can see they look more like a different type of chocolate cookie than Macarons. I did manage to get the meringue to work this time- but I don't think I mixed it quite enough. They didn't crack but they are a little to flat and there are no "feet" like the first batch. However, there is one thing that I can say... they are absolutely, insanely delicious. Because of the coffee/chocolate nature of this particular cookie, they are super rich. And since the recipe only makes about eight cookies, it's a good thing that one can be satisfactory ;) Overall- lots of time and work, but they are really fun. I will be making them again- third times a charm? Maybe a raspberry or lavender in the spring. We will see :)

Oh yes, while I'm here (hehe) I am excited to say that Vivi Girl Shop has titled me blogger of the month! Head on over to check out the feature!

Also, someone made it known to me that one of my style gallery shots was posted on ModCloth's Instagram- so exciting!
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons almond meal
⅓ cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/8 tsp instant espresso powder
¼ cup egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
1/8 tsp salt


Mocha Ganache
This will make more than you need, but it's wonderful added to frosting, poured in a tart shell or used as a dip for, you know, everything. If you don't plan to use it within a week, store leftovers in the freezer.


1 cup ¼  bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
1/8 tsp salt
⅔ cup heavy cream


Get the baking tray with baking paper ready. You would ideally need two trays for this quantity.
In a food processor or grinder pulse the icing sugar, ground almonds, espresso powder and cocoa powder till nice and powdery.
Then sift the mix a couple of times and make sure there are no lumps. The mix may still be not fine as icing sugar, but it should not have any larger chunks or lumps whatsoever.
Using a free standing mixer with whisk attachment or a hand mixer, whisk the egg whites till frothy.
Then add the granulated sugar bit by bit, while continuously beating, till soft peaks form. It should hold its beak shape when you lift the whisk up, but shouldn't be too dry and stiff.
Into the almond-sugar mix add the meringue and fold it in using a spatula by starting from the bottom and continuing to the top, till you get a smooth even mixture.
The batter should fall back in ribbons when you lift the spatula. Also put a spoonful on a plate and if it spreads out on its own, then you are good to go. If it doesn't, then give a couple more folds and it should be fine.
Place the batter into a piping bag with a plain tip, and pipe away, leaving about 2 inches gap between the shells.
Leave aside to dry for half an hour.
Towards the last 10 minutes, pre heat the oven to 285 F and once the time is up, place the tray in the middle rack and bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Once done, cool on a rack completely before doing the filling.


For the filling, bring the cream to a gentle boil and pour over the chopped chocolate. Keep aside for a few minutes.
Once the entire chocolate has melted, stir gently to mix it all in and get a smooth and silky texture.
Keep aside to cool completely

When ready to assemble, pipe the macaron shells and sandwich them.

If you try this recipe, let me know how it works out for you!


Sara said...

Looks delicious!

Reut Metallisydän said...

Looking so good and yumy! I will totally try to make these at home, thanks!!

Hannah said...

I've always wanted to explore the world of Macarons, but i'm afraid if I totally mess them up, my siblings shall never let me live it down. :/

The Chocolate/Coffee combination actually sounds quite delicious... even though i'm not usually a huge coffee fan. :)

Boyer Family Singers said...

Oh, those look SO delicious! I really need to try my hand at making some macarons. Especially some chocolate ones... :)

Brigid
The Middle Sister and Singer

Alex said...

These look so good! You had me at "chocolate and coffee". Such a classic but amazing flavour combo.

Whimsy Darling

ezri said...

My sister owns a bakery and we make macarons there in big batches. Maybe we'll try those. :) They look great.

These are ours:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151809393173210&set=a.300482693209.180201.292710463209&type=1&theater

Ali Hval said...

These... are... gorgeous! *___* And they look super delicious. Gosh, your food photography is incredible. I feel as if I could reach through my screen and just grab these little macaroons (or better yet, eat 'em.)

Victoria Horea said...

Yummmm. I've never made them before, but these pictures are tempting me to give it a try.

Jo - Lost in the Haze said...

Wow wow wow, these look amazing!! I am so impressed that you made these - they look delicious!

xo
Lost in the Haze

Linda B said...

Omgsh, I think all the saliva in my mouth just fell out into a puddle of drool....haha this looks DELICIOUS!!

The Dragonfruit Diaries

Alexandra Marie said...

Ooh, yours are so pretty- I love the colors!

Alexandra Marie said...

Hahaha, I literally laughed out loud when I read this- lol

Imogen said...

Wow! I love macarons.

Samantha said...

Mmmm, these look scrumptious! I love autumn and winter for all the baking, who feels like hanging out in front of the oven on those beautifully warm summer days?!

OrigamiGirl said...

Those look AMAZING! I can't remember the last time I had macaroons but they are soo special. I had the pinky coloured ones before, not rich chocolatey ones. Those photos make it all look so appetising. I am adding this to my bookmarks list. :)

Dani // The cat, you and us said...

Wow, they look delicious! Although I like to make homemade cakes and cookies, I've never felt skilled enough to make macarons. But looking at your pictures I am tempted to try your recipe!

Rebecca and Lori said...

These are beautiful pictures, and the macarons look great. I don't think I would even attempt to make these. But yum!
Lori

The Braided Bandit said...

YUM! These sound and look amazing. I have yet to attempt macaroons but if I do, this would definitely be the flavor to try! I hope you're having a wonderful day!
xo Hannah

http://thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
http://thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

Hannah Gottlieb-Graham said...

Oh my goodness I am drooling onto my keyboard! YUM!

Xo, Hannah

sweetsweetnoir.net

Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.