D.I.Y Perfume Tray

February 10, 2012

I am so excited to share this project with you all! I adore a good garage sale, especially estate sales. Of course, it's always a little difficult to go rummage through a person's things when you know they just passed away. But the nice thing is that there are plenty of well-cared-for treasures at most estate sales. Today I found an old metal frame. It's great because it has raised sides so I thought, why not make it into a tray?




The first thing I did was take out the "insides" of the frame ( ie. glass, cardboard, etc.) Then I chose a acrylic yellow paint and brushed on a first coat.





At this point I could easily see the  metal beneath the paint ( as pictured above) so I gave the frame several more coats of paint (at least eight.) I won't lie, it was a tad bit tedious :-D 


So the color is  finished. I then took the frame outside and sprayed it with a few coats of clear enamel to keep the paint from chipping.


Finally I got to be a little more creative and think of something to put inside the frame. I chose a piece of newspaper. I layed a piece of cardboard from inside the frame on top of the newspaper and traced the shape. Then I cut it out...







Then I put the newspaper into the frame. Voila! This works as a really cool trinket/perfume tray! So keep on the look out for anything like this frame- this project cost me a buck and little bit of time :-D







Latest Instagrams

© Into the Woods. Design by Fearne.